[EXCLUSIVE] TIME OUT WITH PHOTOCRIB IMAGERY

Photocrib Imagery is a household name in Kogi state and its environs. He is a well-known photographer who has been creating dynamic and compelling images in the past years.

He pushes the boundaries of his profession to create images that are emotional, edgy, original, and most of all capture a unique moment in time. 

In this interview, we spoke in depth with Photocrib about his life, his work, his inspirations and his advice and much more.

Can you tell us bit about yourself and your photographic background?

Photocrib: My name is Musa Nurudeen. I hail from Kogi state, Nigeria. I'm an Igala by tribe. I'm a 300L student of Kogi state university where I'm currently studying Statistics. I'm also a growing photographer. I co-own a photography brand called PhotoCrib Imagery. And I'm a skinny guy. 😂😂

What or who got you started in photography?

Photocrib: My Dad actually used to be a photog in the good old days. He had this huge collection of vintage cameras and lenses. So, I kind of had fragments of the craft around me while growing up. But funny enough, I was never interested to begin with. But then, fast forward to a few years ago when I was a graphic designer, I and my friend Nas picked up a camera so we could get better pictures than we were getting for our work at the time, and the rest they say was history.

Why choose passion over profession? Was it an easy decision?

Photocrib: I actually think being a commercial photographer demands that you do a blend of both. So, I guess I'm just trying to turn passion into a profession.

You seem to be creative in so many different mediums. What keeps you inspired?

Photocrib: My background definitely. And I've always been a huge fan of creative self expression in all its forms. I guess that's where I keep tapping from every now and then.

Tell us a photographer who inspires you?

Photocrib: Lol I dare not. I don't draw inspiration from just one photographer. As a matter of fact, the list is endless. They all have one thing in common though. They all obviously create from an emotional place and have the ability to make pictures that are compelling as much as they tell stories.

What is your mental checklist before a shoot?

Photocrib: There's a different checklist for every session actually. If possible, I make it a point to know the client a bit before the shoot. Sometimes, I even check out some of their previous pictures on their social media pages. I guess it helps me help them create pictures that are unique to them.

What type of photographer are you? We notice you take a lot of wedding photos.

Photocrib: I just love to photograph people. Although like you said, I shoot portraits and weddings for the most part. But I'm still learning and improving and definitely open to whatever the future holds.

What was your biggest challenge when you started career?

Photocrib: Two words! Capital and mentorship.

Has what you do affected your life in anyway?

Photocrib: Yes it has. I'll say in positive ways for the most part though. Being a photographer has gradually helped me grow into someone who sees beauty in everything and everyone. And I actually feel that's something to take consolation in, given the world we live in right now. 

What do you feel is the most challenging thing about photographing weddings?

Photocrib: Lol The question should be "What's not challenging about shooting weddings?". At the top of the list for me though, is uncooperative clients. Trust me, You could have top of the line equipments, be more creative than Rembrandt and even know the technicalities of the craft like the back of your hand but still end up with boring pictures if the clients are uncooperative. So, at the end of the day, you can only get your clients the kind of pictures they let you get them.

What is your tip for couples looking for their perfect wedding photographer?

Photocrib: It is best to hire someone whose style you genuinely like. Don't hire Photographer A and then try to pin Photographer B's style on him/her. I'm not saying you can't get inspiration from social media and all. But previsualizing them through your photog's personal aesthetic will help the final results fall within your expectations.

Describe your photography style 5 words.

Photocrib: Lol This is a tough one.
Well how about Narrative, Unconventional Intuitive and a little bit Artistic. 😂😂

Best advice you’ve ever received about being an artist?

Photocrib: Someone once told me about the power of previsualization as an artist. The best artists to ever walk the earth all had the ability to see the end result even from the beginning. That was definitely an eye opener for me, now that I think about it. No pun intended. LOL.

What is success to you?

Photocrib: My definition of success is seeing one's loved ones genuinely happy. Seeing your people doing their thing as much as you're doing yours. I don't think success can get any better than that.

What do you think of the photography industry in Nigeria at the moment and where do you see it in 5 years from now?

Photocrib: I feel it's still growing and it will only even get better. A lot of new amazing photogs keep coming in every now and then. And in 5 years from now, I hope it would have been even more accepted than it is right now.

What do you do in your free time?

Photocrib: I spend time with loved ones, Watch movies, And if you know me, you'll know I have this huge archive of hiphop music that I can't live without.

What photographic ambitions have you not yet achieved?

Photocrib: Lol do you have all day? They are way too numerous to mention. They all involve a lot of traveling though. Guess I'm just taking them a day at a time though.

What advice do you have for somebody who wants to pursue photography?

Photocrib: Make sure you're actually passionate about the craft to begin with, because trust me, there'll be days where everything will depend on it. Also, the importance of practice cannot be overemphasized. Most of the things you'll ever learn as a photog will spring up in the middle of practice. And if you plan to commercialize your art someday, you should endeavor to learn the business side of things simultaneously with the craft itself.
You won't regret it.

Comments

Popular posts

Herdsmen Kill One in Kogi State

Shocking: Not Upgrading Your Whatsapp Could Lead To It Getting Hacked

Another Lady Accuses Poplular Fashion Designer Of Giving Out Her Wedding Anniversary Dress To A Model