PENURY

Mother told me corn would make me taller,
Luckily we had a corn farm.
She fed me corn everyday,
I thought corn was the sweetest,
Until I had a taste of rice today.

Mother told me ragdolls were expensive,
Luckily I had one.
I played all day with Holly,
I thought my ragdoll was the prettiest,
Until I saw a Cinderella Polly.

Mother told me stick houses were beautiful,
Luckily we lived in one.
Despite the leakings and creaks,
I thought my house was the strongest,
Until I saw a house made of bricks.

Of all the things mother told me,
She told me to go out,
Be greater and braver.
She told me to return,
Wiser and richer.
I did not understand at first,
I'm presently in town,
I understand at last,
The penury deep down.

                   - Adaji Glory Ojima

Comments

Popular posts

Herdsmen Kill One in Kogi State

Shocking: Not Upgrading Your Whatsapp Could Lead To It Getting Hacked

Another Lady Accuses Poplular Fashion Designer Of Giving Out Her Wedding Anniversary Dress To A Model